Domain transfer reminders and exceptions*
- The domain must not be: a recent registration or transfer (within 60 days), expired, or about to expire (we recommend initiating a transfer at least 2 weeks before a domain expires).
- Ensure your Whois email address is current as that is the address we will use to authorize the transfer.
- Each domain transfer extends your domain registration by one year, with a few top-level domains being the exception.
When you transfer a domain, 1 year is added to the expiration date in most cases except:
- Your domain expired at your previous registrar, then you renewed it during the renewal grace period, and transferred it to us within 45 days of the renewal.
- Adding a year to the domain will exceed the maximum registration period (usually 10 years, but it varies) for each domain.
- When you are transferring a .BE, .EU, or .DE domain, one year is added to the transfer completion date, not the expiration date.
- For .UK and .LT domains, you need to ask your current registrar to push the domain to us. There is no cost to do this and no time is added to the domain.
- .NL domains retain their pre-transfer expiration date and then are automatically renewed for you closer to their expiration date. This is because the .NL registry only allows for 1 year of registration.
- .AI domains do not include a renewal upon transfer due to them only being able to be registered or renewed in 2-year increments.
Please note that we do not currently accept .NGO domain transfers.
Why should I transfer domains to Dynadot?
At Dynadot, we provide everything you need to easily acquire, adjust, and manage your domain roster. With our low prices and an extensive yet simple control panel, you'll also save both time and money. If you're looking to build your domain portfolio, our aftermarket is also a great place to get some valuable domains. As a bonus, any domain transferred in will extend your registration by one year, so take advantage instead of renewing at your current registrar.
How long does it take to complete a domain transfer?
Domain transfers can take anywhere from 5-15 days.
Will my website/email be affected during the domain transfer?
In most cases no. This is because the name servers for your domain are not changed during the domain transfer.
Will I lose my domain if the domain transfer fails?
No, your domain will just remain at your original registrar.
I can't get my previous registrar to update my Whois email address. Can I still transfer my domain?
You must be able to receive mail at your Whois email address, so you can authorize the transfer. We cannot complete your transfer otherwise.
I can't get my domain transfer authorization code from my previous registrar. Can you still transfer my domain?
Sorry, we cannot transfer a domain without a valid auth code.
Can I transfer my domain if it is expired?
You are welcome to try, but chances are it will not work. Most registrars require you to renew before you can transfer a domain away.
Do I get my money back if the domain transfer fails?
Your account will be credited the full domain transfer fee. The credit can be used for any future purchases. Sorry, we cannot issue a cash refund.
How do I move a domain between two Dynadot accounts?
This is actually a change owner request and not a domain transfer. A change ownership request is free and can be started by the domain owner on our control panel change owner page
How do I transfer in a .UK domain?
Transferring a .UK domain is different than most domain transfers. To transfer your .UK domain to Dynadot follow the steps here